Director: Kaloyan Nikolov
Location: Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria (Wikipedia)
Municipality of Veliko Tarnovo
Within the framework of Musical Feasts "Euro Folk" under the auspices of the European Association of Folklore Festivals - EAFF - ICH Partner of UNESCO
Licence of World Association of Folklore Festivals - WAFF World Cup of Folklore™
World Cup of Folklore™ - Veliko Tarnovo 2024 is a competitive event which is a part of the Championship system of folklore of the European Association of Folklore Festivals - EAFF with the rank of International Championship. Championship system of folklore includes local, national, regional, international and continental folk arts championships. The highest and most important event of the Championship system is the World Championship of Folklore "World folk". The hierarchical structure of the Championship system gives the participants the opportunity to rank and move to the next stage of the different ranked championships. The Championship system is a modern form of promotion and preservation of cultural heritage which combines a strong competitive start and a high level of performance of the participants.
The evaluations of the groups participating in the competition programs of the Championship system are valid for ranking in the World ranking list of folklore.
Musical Feasts "Euro Folk" have been held since 2003 in various cities and countries of Europe. Since 2007, they have been under the auspices of the European Association of Folklore Festivals - EAFF. Main event of Musical Feasts "Euro Folk" is No1 Festival in Europe for the traditional folklore arts - Stara Planina Fest "Balkan Folk". Every year from 7 000 to 15 000 musicians, singers and dancers take part in it. So far, nearly 200,000 (two hundred thousand) singers, musicians and dancers from all over Bulgaria and from another 30 countries from 4 continents have participated in the Stara Planina Fest "Balkan Folk". Musical Feasts "Euro Folk" include forty-five music festivals. Typical feature of Musical Feasts "Euro Folk" is that all of the performances are recorded with professional audio and television technics and the best of them are repeatedly broadcasted by more than 20 cable televisions in Bulgaria, by the satelite televisions "Rodina TV" and "T.TV.I.", as well as by television "EuroFolkTV" with free Internet access from all over the world. All this activities realize the main purpose of Musical Feasts "Euro Folk" - to popularize the traditional folk arts through the enormous possibilities of mass media.
Veliko Tarnovo (Bulgarian: Велико Търново) is a city in north central Bulgaria and the administrative centre of Veliko Tarnovo Province. Often referred to as the "City of the Tsars", Imperial city of Tarnovo. Veliko Tarnovo is located on the Yantra River and is famous as the historical capital of the Second Bulgarian Empire, attracting many tourists with its unique architecture. The capital city Tarnovo, which was considered a "New Constantinople", became the country's main cultural hub and the center of the Eastern Orthodox world for contemporary Bulgarians. The old city is situated on three hills, Tsarevets, Trapezitsa and Sveta Gora raising amidst the meanders of the Yantra. Tsarevets housed the palaces of the Bulgarian Emperors and the Patriarchate with the Patriarchal Cathedral, as well as a number of administrative and residential edifices surrounded by thick walls. Trapezitsa was known for its many churches and as the main residence of the nobility. In the Middle Ages it was among the main European centres of culture and gave its name to the architecture of the Tarnovo Artistic School, painting of the Tarnovo Artistic School and literature.
Participants in the festival:
So far have participated groups from: Europe: Armenia, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Italy, Estonia, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Turkey; Asia: Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Iran; America: Canada; Africa: Algeria.
Purpose of the festival:
The main task of the organizers is to give creative collectives the opportunity to perform and to include them in a competition program, determining the best of them and to promote them through modern information and television technologies. Providing a platform for cultural exchange where participants can show the rich cultural heritage through the diverse forms of folk art: music, song and dance. Expression of cultural identity. Promoting mutual respect and understanding between different nations and communities. Making new friendships. Preservation and promotion of traditional cultural elements through artistic performances that ensure their transmission from generation to generation.
Regulation for participation:
The application form must be sent to confirm participation. All filled applications will mean acceptance of the terms laid by the present regulation.
A group delegation can include artists and their accompanying party. The number of artists and accompanying people is not limited.
Groups, applying for participation, must have obtained prestigious awards from other events from Championship system or other prestigious contests awards to be mentioned in the application.
It is recommended that groups for authentic folklore orient themselves to songs, melodies, customs and dances that are characteristic of the settlement and region they are from.
Of great benefit will be the careful attitude to the costumes, props and musical accompaniment of the groups, which is of decisive importance for the domestic fidelity of the folk traditions.
The group should prepare a 5/ 10/ 15-minute program accompanied by their own orchestra or music on FLASH memory.
If a copyrighted work is used, the authors and arrangement must be indicated in the application form for participation.
Each group should provide a few photos/ videos with a brief history of the group. These materials will be used for promotional, publication and advertising purposes.
Each group should bring a flag of their country and the group if available, a board with the name of their group and country and few gifts for the Municipality visits and organizers or for exchange with the other participants.
During the Championship, the organizers can invite the group to take part in common events - Official opening, Official closing, parade, cocktail party, accompanying concerts, master class or others. The presence of invited teams in various events is required.
All participants organize their own travel to and from the place of conducting and pay their own travel expenses.
All participants need to have the necessary international health insurance.
After receiving your application form, a confirmation will be sent to you along with payment instructions.
vocal groups, folk choirs
dance ensembles, dance clubs and schools for folk dances
wind and folk orchestras
groups for recreating customs
groups for old urban songs
individual performers, duet and trio
For individuals - 5 minutes
For groups - 10 minutes
For ensembles - up to 15 minutes
I) Groups for old urban songs or Classical music. (groups, ensembles)
*i individual performers and duets by all categories except E, F, H;
*1 by all categories there is also ranking of children and young people up to 18 years. /in children's and youth groups can participate up to 30% of participants from different age /
*2 by all categories there is ranking adults people over 18 years.
The jury evaluates by the following 3 criteria:
1. Level of complexity and technique of performance
2. Vision /costumes, properties, staging, selection of repertoire/
3. Stage manners /behavior on stage, gestures, contact with the audience, spirit emanation, artistry/
- The jury committee may participate only members authorized by EAFF.
- The evaluation system is sixty points, taking the arithmetic mean of the sum of the criteria.
- The jury is entitled to reduce the overall assessment in case of non-compliance with the regulation.
- The big award of World Cup of Folklore™- Veliko Tarnovo 2024, Bulgaria and a diploma for the WINNER of Grand Prix WORLD CUP OF FOLKLORE.
- Second place World Cup of Folklore, silver medal and a diploma.
- Third place World Cup of Folklore, bronze medal and a diploma.
- Vouchers for participation in the World Championship of Folklorе "World folk" and others with a total sum of 2 000 Euro.
- Nominations World Cup of Folklore, which give the right to participate in the ranking for Grand Prix.
- Awards in the relevant categories and a diploma for the World Cup of Folklore™ for the relevant category. The champions obtain golden medals, and for the second and third place – silver and bronze medals. A jury's decision in the single categories could be given additional golden, silver and bronze medals with the relevant diplomas.
- Recommendations for participation in a Championship of a higher rank.
- Special awards from organizers and partners.
- The jury awards the best performances with a free of charge shooting and producing of a free video clip.
- All participating groups receive diplomas for participation and subject prizes. Awards are granted at an awarding ceremony.
- In the jury’s opinion and the producer Euro Folk Academy the best performers and artistic directors shall be honored with a Diploma for obtaining the rank Maestro or Maestro Academician. Diplomas are sent to the relevant municipalities with request for a solemn awarding.
- All art directors, teachers, choreographers, group and ensemble leaders also receive the Thankful Diplomas of the Championship sent by the relevant Ministry of culture of their country, or Local Municipalities with request for a solemn awarding.
- Award winners get a free of charge copy of the video product, which consists of their performances.
- The participants can order full recordings of their performances, including video clips, on DVD or FLASH for additional payment.
World Cup of Folklore™ categories are consistent with the categories of the World ranking list of folklore. Collected points standings with odds for a World Cup of Folklore™.
Points valid for World ranking list of folklore:
Points for participation
Points by Category
Points by Grand Prix
World Cup of Folklore™
Next - 6т
13th May 2024 - Departure of the groups
* The detailed program is published up to 20 days before the start of the event.
Participation fee (for participants and accompanying persons):
- Period 1: 10 - 13 May - 3 HB (3 nights on Half Board)
- Comfort 3* - 3 HB - 146 Euro
- Luxury 4* - 3 HB - 192 Euro
- Period 2: 9 - 13 May - 4 HB (4 nights on Half Board)
- Comfort 3* - 4 HB - 179 Euro
- Luxury 4* - 4 HB - 229 Euro
Luxury 4* - Premier, Panorama, Park Asenevtci, Sevastokrator...
The participation fee includes:
- Accommodation in 1/3 and 1/4 rooms, half-board (breakfast and dinner), supplement for lunch: 8-12 Euro, supplement for 1/2 room: 7 Euro per person per night, supplement for 1/1 room: 21 Euro per person per night
- Organization expenses
- Invitation letter**
The participation fee does not include:
Additional day in some of the hotels: it costs 45/ 55 Euro per person
Facultative tours - tour of Veliko Tarnovo (Visit to "Tsarevets" Fortress - Tsars Castle and Ethnological Museum), Sofia, Kazanlak, Gabrovo (Ethnographic complex "Etara"), Shipka, Ruse, Bucharest
Transport, parking, insurance...
Transport from airports /Sofia - 235 km., Burgas - 220 km., Varna - 210 km., Bucharest - 200 km., Istanbul - 490 km.; railway - Gorna Oryahovitsa - 11 km./
Participation fee for second category - 8 Euro per person, not more than 160 Euro.
Participation fee from individual participation up to trio - 30 Euro.
Registration of the participants:
Registration of the participants, receipt of the presentation materials, signing and handing over of contracts and clarifications on the program will be carried out from 10:00 to 16:00 by the person in charge of the group /artistic director/ at the registration office next to the entrance to the stage of the "Marno Pole" Summer Theater in Veliko Tarnovo.
Rest of payment 70% - 15 days before the beginning of the festival or upon arrival with permission of organizers.